KeepCup Brew Reusable Glass Cup 355ml ‘Nitro’
KeepCup is on a mission to ensure the world neither wants, needs or uses disposable cups. KeepCup is the world’s first barista standard reusable cup, designed for a premium beverage experience where you can enjoy the craft and sensory pleasure of coffee on the go. Take the café experience with you at home, to work or on the move. Perfect for smoothies and juices too…
The glass cup is made from tempered soda lime glass. It is dishwasher safe and can withstand high temperatures. Glass KeepCups are toughened by tempering, which is a process of extreme heating and rapid cooling. Due to the nature of glass as a material, it remains breakable, but it is much more resistant to thermal shock and mechanical shock. It is also safer, as tempered glass it beads when broken, and does not shard, making it less likely to cause injury.
The silicone band provides thermal insulation to protect touch. It also offers great nonslip properties, so you can hold tight when drinking on the go. Cork bands available here.
The splashproof lid is made from polypropylene alloy plastic (PP) #7 and is lovely to drink from. It is dishwasher safe. Top rack only. Do not microwave. KeepCup recommends that you wait 30 seconds after pouring boiling water before putting your lid on. The lid pops directly on and off, make sure you use the tab on the lid to lift off and to firmly and evenly press back on. To avoid odour, store lid off.
All Keepcups are free from BPA, BPS, phthalates including DEHP, lead and cadmium as well as any substances of very high concern (SVHC). They’re hygienic and easy to use, fit for purpose, and made to last. Not unbreakable, but surprisingly durable.
The problem with disposables
- Most disposable cups are lined with polyethylene which makes them non-recyclable. Disposable cups that are ‘compostable’ require commercial composting to biodegrade.
- Over 500 billion disposable cups are manufactured globally every year and every minute over one million disposable cups are discarded to landfill. 
- Less than 10% of all plastic ever produced has been recycled.
- Half of the plastic used in the world today is for single-use disposables items. 
- Every year nearly four billion trees (35% of all trees felled) are used in paper industries around the world. 
- Over one year disposable cups use 90% more water in production than a KeepCup. 
Reusable solutions are the only way forward to meaningfully reduce waste and pollution. Every KeepCup Brew used more than 15 times saves energy and resources, as well as waste. Comparing energy in manufacture and use (including washing), KeepCups breakeven with disposable cups is 15 uses.  More information about KeepCup’s lifecycle assessment is available here.
Work out what YOU save from landfill by taking a look at Keepcup’s impact calculator.
Designed for the coffee maker
All KeepCups, except the largest 16oz / 473ml size, fit under coffee machine group heads. This means business as usual for baristas, no need to transfer the coffee from one cup to another, keeping the extraction and crema intact. Internal volumes replicate single-use cups so baristas know which size to serve and the correct coffee-to-milk ratio.
- The glass cup with silicone band is dishwasher safe, top rack.
- For longevity of the cork band, hand washing only is advised. Do not remove the cork band. Repeat dishwashing will cause the band to become discoloured and stretched. Similarly, microwaving may reduce its lifespan by causing the band to dry out and crumble.
- Please treat your cork bands with care, especially when fitting it to your glass. Over time, the cork band will form a tight bond with the glass cup, if you need to remove your band, make sure you follow KeepCup’s instructions to avoid breakage.
- Microwave with lid off to a maximum temperature of 100 °C / 212 °F.
- Caution: Rapid temperature change or heating over 100 °C / 212 °F may cause the glass cup to shatter. You cannot heat liquids in the microwave above boiling point, or put a cold cup in boiling water or microwave.
End of life
If your household waste service collection accepts #7 hard plastics, please place the plastic lid in your recycle bin for collection. The plastic plug is made from low density polyethylene (LDPE) #4 and is readily recycled via most household waste service collections worldwide. Please place in your recycle bin for collection.
Silicone requires a dedicated commercial recycling collection which is not offered by residential curbside collection. Discarded silicone bands go to landfill. (The KeepCup cork bands can be buried or biodegraded in household compost at end of life.)
Giving and advocacy
KeepCup is a Certified B Corporation and also a member of 1% For The Planet, committed to donating at least 1% of their global revenue to environmental causes. Over the years, KeepCup has donated over $2,000,000 to causes and campaigns that advocate against single-use, for a biodiverse planet. These include: Plastic Free July, Sea Shepherd, 1 Million Women and more. Take a look here to see the rest these partnerships.
 Jim Hanna www.oneearth.org, April 2012
 Plastic, a toxic love story, Susan Freinkel, 2011
 The Eco-Craze, a case study Lockrey 2012, Design Principals and Practices Journal
 Hocking M (1994) “Reusable and disposable cups: An energy based evaluation” * Breakeven is calculated in reference to the life cycle of each product.